Shopping for a Newborn II – Summary and Tips
As you might have read from a previous post on Shopping for a Newborn – The List, buying everything brand new can be quite expensive. However, there are some ways to reduce your costs, which is what I’m all about.
- Make sure to shop around. Walmart and Toys R Us had the same brand names, but Toys R Us prices were about 10-15% higher.
- Note that if you are on a budget, then look at your local classifieds for used items (kijiji and craigslist come to mind). You can sometimes find baby items in good shape and for a fraction of the cost. At our local classifieds, we found a lady selling baby clothes, the baby bjorn carrier, and some other toys for about 30% the retail cost. We even found a high end used baby crib for a great price, but the baby’s grandparents insists on buying new (they’re paying).
- Wait for the sales. A trick that I’ve found is that Walmart seems to sell their baby stuff at clearance prices at the end of the year or earlier into the new year. They must be trying to get rid of the old stock to bring in the new stock for the year. That’s how we got the travel system and playpen for such a great price.
Summarizing yesterdays itemized post, this is my cost estimation for the newborn. Note that some of this stuff will be paid for by friends and family and other stuff may be purchased used.
This is more of a guideline of the costs if you were to purchase everything brand new:
- Travel System Stroller + Car Seat: $120 (Walmart boxing week sale reg: $200 )
- 2 in 1 Convertible Car Seat: $150 (can wait until baby is 22lbs)
- Crib: $280 (convertible)
- Conversion kit: $150
- Mattress: $120
- Crib Blankets etc: $75
- Change Table/Dresser: $240
- Change Mat: $25
- Rocking Chair: $250
- Jumper/Swing: $150
- Playpen: $80 (Walmart clearance, reg: $150)
- Infant Tub: $20
- Baby Monitor: $150
- Total so far: $1,810
Special thanks to the lady at Toys R Us who patiently helped us decipher the mystery of newborn baby equipment.
For those of you interested in this topic, make sure to check out yesterdays post and especially the comments thread. My wife and I read over the comments last night and we’re very appreciative of all the information that was provided.
Are there any other big tickets items that I’m missing for the new baby?