150+ Ways to Save Money Over the Holidays
It’s the season where some are running around trying to find last minute gifts. With all the pressure to get appropriate gifts in a short time line may result in overspending just for the sheer convenience.
Before we get too caught up in the rush, here are some ways to save money over the holidays:
1. Use LED Lights – For those of you decorating with Christmas lights this year, use the LED Christmas lights instead of the incandescent ones. Not only are LED solutions more environmentally friendly, they will help reduce that dreaded winter power bill.
2. Use the Secret Santa System – Instead of giving gifts to all of your siblings, or to every single one of your friends in your circle, how about using secret Santa system for each group instead? Implementing this system will help reduce the pressure and expense of purchasing so many gifts.
3. Re-Gifting - This seems to be a hot topic this holiday season as other bloggers have debated this issue. Personally, I have no problem with re-gifting. In fact, I think that it’s a great idea! If you receive a gift that’s not right for you, why not package it up and give it to someone who might enjoy it?
4. Give a Personal Gift – If you have the creative skills, how about baking a cake, making some cookies or creating a craft as a gift? Not only can this be economical, it’s a gift straight from the heart.
5. Donate to a Charity – Lets face it, a lot of people that you know do not need another gift this holiday season, however, charities are always in need of contributions. Try donating to a charity in someones behalf. The benefits? All parties involved will feel good about giving plus you’ll receive a donation tax credit to boot!
6. Have a Plan – Make a shopping plan and write it down, not only will it save time, it will save money by preventing the purchase of spontaneous gifts.
To add to this list, I asked other personal bloggers about how to save money over the holidays:
Being Frugal lists 50 frugal christmas ideas.
Money Ning explains 32 sensible tips for the holiday shopping season.
Bible Money Matters also has 50 frugal gift ideas.
Digerati Life gives us the best coupon sites for online shoppers.
The Smarter Wallet lists some frugal gift ideas for the holiday season.
Moolanomy gives us 9 smart holidays shopping tips.
Cash Money Life shows us how to find holiday travel deals.
Mr. Grinch, I mean Mike from Four Pillars suggests to not give any Christmas gifts at all!