Ever wonder how to cook a whole chicken? I was preparing supper yesterday evening and I realized that I don’t post a lot about cooking here on MDJ. Cooking/recipes can become a popular topic as everyone eats and why not save some money while your at it?
This recipe is for cooking a whole chicken. There are various times at the grocery store when they have fresh whole chickens on sale. I consider them on sale when they cost around $4.39/kg (~$2/lb).
Here are the goods:
What you’ll need:
- ~ 2.5-3 lb fresh whole chicken (if frozen, thawed first)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Other spices/herbs that you enjoy. I personally like to use chicken boullion (low salt, no msg), savoury, and italian spice mix.
- Remove the bag that sits inside the chicken.
- Thoroughly clean the chicken under running water.
- Place chicken in a roasting pan, generously coating (inside and out) with salt, pepper and other spices/herbs that you enjoy.
- Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil over chicken
- Preheat oven to 350F
- If you like the breast to be extra juicy (who doesn’t), then make sure to cook with the breast side down (opposite of the picture).
- 350F preheated oven for 25-30 min/lb. Works out to be about 1.5 hrs for a 3 lb chicken.
- You’ll know when it’s done when the thighs internal temperature reaches 180F or if it bleeds clear. I usually use the indicator of a nice browning of the skin.
- After the chicken is done cooking, take it out of the oven and let it sit for around 10 min before carving.
Done! An easy peasy recipe that can be extremely cost effective providing you find the chickens on sale.
Do you have any frugal recipes to share?
Photo credit: ninjapoodles-> If you would like to read more articles like this, you can sign up for my free newsletter service below (we will not spam you).