With the positive response from my last frugal chicken recipe, I will post another one of my favorite recipes. Beef Stew is high in protein and flavour, low in fat and cost. In addition, beef stew is usually cooked in bulk so that it will feed a large family and/or multiple meals.
What you'll need:
- 1-2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil or other oil of choice.
- 1lb Stewing beef
- 1 tsp Oregano/Rosemary (or other herb of choice)
- 1 large can of diced tomato
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 small potatoes
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 large carrot
- 4-5 fresh mushrooms
- 1-2 tbsp corn starch
How to prepare/cook:
- Wash then slice and dice potatoes, celery, carrot and mushrooms to bite sized pieces.
- Heat up a large pot over the stove and add olive oil.
- When it's nice and hot (starts to bubble), put in the stewing beef cook only a few minutes until sides are brown. You want to leave the center a bit undone as it will slowly cook itself during the rest of the process.
- Add salt and pepper to the beef.
- Add celery, potato, mushrooms, carrots. Stir for a few minutes.
- Add can of diced tomatoes, pepper, sugar, oregano (or herb of choice)
- Bring to boil, let simmer on low heat for around 30-45 min.
- Prepare small bowl of 1-2 tablespoon(s) corn starch and a few ml's of water. Add enough water so that the corn starch has a thick consistency when stirred.
- If the stew isn't thick enough after simmering for the alloted time, stir and add a mixture of cornstarch and water.
Voila, supper for the whole family with perhaps enough for lunch the next day. I can see this recipe working great in a slow cooker also.
photo credit: jetalone-> If you would like to read more articles like this, you can sign up for my free newsletter service below (we will not spam you).